Country Information: FAQ
1. Do I need a passport to go to Costa Rica?
A valid passport is mandatory to enter Costa Rica. It should be valid during the following 6 months from the entry date to Costa Rica.
2. Do I need a visa to go to Costa Rica?
Depending on your country of origin you may enter Costa Rica without a visa. USA, Canada and most European countries have this privilege.
3. Can I enter Costa Rica with a one way ticket?
All visitors must have a round trip ticket as an entry requirement.
4. Do I need an international drivers license to drive in Costa Rica?
You are allowed to drive with your normal drivers license for three months.
5. Can I get married in Costa Rica? What documents do I need?
Foreigners can get married in Costa Rica. The documents needed are: – original birth certificate – affidavit of single status – police record – valid passport – divorce decree (if applicable) – These documents need to follow the authentication procedure before being taken to Costa Rica.
6. What is the difference between the rain forest and the cloud forest?
The main difference is that in the cloud forest doesn´t rain as much as in the rain forest. The species of flora and fauna that you might find differ from one to the other.
7. Is the water drinkable in Costa Rica?
The water is potable in most of the country. We recommend using bottled water, specially in areas around the coast.
8. What is the currency in Costa Rica?
The Costa Rican currency is called Colon. US dollars and major credit cards are widely accepted.
9. Are credit cards accepted in Costa Rica?
All major credit cards are widely accepted. You will find ATM’s distributed throughout the country.
10. What kind of inoculations do I have to take to Costa Rica?
Starting on July 30, 2007, the Costa Rican authorities will demand that all travelers coming from the following countries Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador as well as the Republic of Guyana need a yellow fever vaccination certificate.
11. What documents are required to enter a pet to Costa Rica?
Dogs and cats entering Costa Rica must have a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian, endorsed by a veterinarian service (VS). The examination for the certificate must be conducted within the two weeks prior traveling to Costa Rica. The required vaccinations are: distemper, hepatitis, lestospirosis, parvovirus and rabies (for animals that are 4 months or older.
12. How much is the departure tax?
Departure tax is $26. It can be paid in US Dollars, colones or credit cards.
13. How can I get a working visa?
You must apply for a working visa at the Costa Rican Consulate.
14. How can I apply for legal residency in Costa Rica?
Costa Rica offers different ways to legalize your status: -temporary resident -retirements International government mission. For more legal information contact the Costarican consulate.
15. Are the national parks wheel chair accessible?
The Poas Volcano National Park is the only one that offers access for wheel chairs.
16. Is there a tour operator offering tours for handicapped people?
Kostas Rhoda offers special trips for the handicapped.
17. Is there an American Legion in Costa Rica?
There is an American Legion for people who went to the army.
18. If I decide to stay longer, can I get a visa while I am there?
Depend of your nationality. It’s better if you ask at the National Migration Department. Or you can live the country for 72 hours and your visa will be renewed automatically for more days ( depend of your nationality).
19. What should I bring to go to the rain forest?
All you need is insect repellent, a rain coat with a hood and hiking boots.
20. How much is the sales tax in Costa Rica?
Sales tax is 13%
21. What number should I dial in case of emergency?
Dial 911 for immediate assistance.
22. When do you celebrate Carnivals?
Limon Carnivals are celebrated in October and Puntarenas carnivals are from February 21 to March 3rd.
23. Where can you see egg laying turtles?
You can go to Tortuguero National Park in the Caribbean or to Las Baulas National Park in the Pacific coast.
Costa Rica Travel: Travel Information & Tips
No matter how beautiful a destination may be, it needs easy access and be reachable within the limitations of an average vacation period. Costa Rica is only two and a half hours away from Miami!